Sunday 27 July 2014

Teddy Bear Pillow and Patchwork Birds

I had this white polar fleece sitting untouched for a few weeks and after watching a documentary about polar bears had a eureka moment.

 I tried a peek-a-boo aka reverse applique for the first time and worked really well with the slight stretch in the fleece.

I used wool felt for the eyes and nose because I was too impatient to embroider them
 The ears are another new technique- the inner part was cut smaller than the outer- I even managed to fussy cut the pattern, so that both ears have a "space flower" at the centre.
Yes, just the right size for a little cuddle

 The back is so soft...

UPDATE!!!! Monday 28/7/14- I showed this to my boyfriend who commented how it is all wonky and no one would want this... So after I got over the "How dare you say the teddy is wonky?, he is so cute... " I thought I could rise to the challenge and make a better one!
So the kawaii teddy has had the seam reaper treatment and it's face will adorn a fabric basket, after it undergoes a few modifications (plumping enhancements with stuffing and a little trim of excess fabric all round, a little operation to straighten his nose and possible a new eye shape- it sounds like he has gone for facelift and fillers- LOL).

But the pillow will be made again, I have been working on a new improved shape for an hour this a.m. and made a pattern. The shape is more square with rounded edged and has more height. It is ready to be cut after I finish work tonight. I hope to have something to show you later this week.

 
 This is the polar bear teddy- eyes and nose embroidered

 They look cute together- like Mr and Mrs Bear
Somehow this is more of a boyish looking teddy.

Last week I bought a sewing book which was a bit of a disaster, but there was one project in there I really liked: Birds

 A fantastic way to use up all those scraps of fabric I have been collecting
 and all those odd buttons and ribbons
hand holding 4 birds

4 birds
 Having little hands helped when turning the tail and wings
pastel fabric birds

These are the pastel floral ones and also did a couple in retro red

fabric bird in red
 Loveheart sweets, mmm!
fabric bird ornament
 Thee have felt beaks and an eight point star eye
red winged bird

fabric bird ornament
 It just fits so cosily my palm
red and floral

So, it was a very productive weekend!

Have a lovely Sunday and a great week friends. 

xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...