Monday 25 August 2014

Burlap, Strawberries and Cream

I promised to show you what I have been working on.

There is a surprise coming soon, a tutorial I wrote about making the baskets to be shared with a wonderful fabric shop...more on this soon.

Here is what I have been making

 Burlap basket with dusky pink polka dot cotton. I lined the pockets with burlap, which made ironing a crisp edge on the seam tricky, but they are very strong.


 I added interfacing to the burlap and zig zag-ed all the edges to make sure it does not fray. Sewing the thick layer near the handles was a challenge.
I have never tried this handle before. I am quite pleased how it worked out...and how psychedelic the dots look here!
 I made some more little caddies. At 5" at the base, these are hard to box the corners and hard to iron. Nice cute size for toiletries though.


I just love the strawberries!

 Sun Bonnet Girl
We recently made a very long car trip and when I was taking my turn being the passenger, I sketched a few of these bonnet girls. When I came to make the applique, I came up with the idea of the scalloped edge to her top. She is made from 100% wool felt which is thick stable to work with.
I thought it may be too tricky to satin stitch neatly, so I left it and stitched a straight line above, to make it look like a frilly ruffle on those dresses you see women wearing in Westerns. I love watching them on Saturday afternoons as a child. 




 This fabric is so cute. I want to make the hen and the flower pot into appliques next time. It is a line look cotton by John Louden. I like a few things from their collection and this fabric was a pleasure to work with.

What have you been doing this Bank Holiday weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...