Sunday 5 October 2014

Polar Bear Storage Caddy

There is something about the cuteness and soft white coat of polar bears that makes them adorable.

Upon reviewing my makes I could identify a very clear bias towards girl-orientated designs and colours. It is my mission to make some boy things in the next few weeks.

This polar bear is the start


I love love this bear! I looked at over 100 photographs of bears and made 7 sketch drawings before deciding on this one. I normally sketch like a painter and then need to simplify so I can execute it in the sewing machine.

I made him out of white polar fleece which has the advantage of no fraying. The disadvantage is due to the plushness, it is hard to make any marks for the eyes and nose. In the end, it was a guessing job with the embroidery thread. To make things easier, I think I will opt for wool felt next time.

The polar fleece is lovely to touch though!



The pocket is lined with cream cotton. After I turned it I rolled the tube 1/2" to create the upper edge. It looked so crisp and could not resist sewing a top stitch along both edges.

This blue fabric is linen look cotton and the dots look a bit like is it snowing.

Polar bears are so cute! I shall be making more of them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...